MORE
Trout Fishing

Cooking Trout

5/11/24 @ 12:20 PM
INITIAL POST
Mountain
-T Fish-
User since 2/12/23

I'm thinking of trying to fry up the trout I catch next time, but do you think they taste better just with a little olive oil in tinfoil? That's the strat I went with on this trip.  I stuffed it with ramps I foraged, too. Is there anything else I could try to forage in Wisconsin that would go with a catch and cook?

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
5/19/24 @ 9:33 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06
The streamside mushroom of the season works for me. This week it was phesantback shrooms found 5 ft from the water. Morels are great too, but that's only early season. I like Chicken of the Woods for late season trout fishing.  You want to cook them separate from the fish of course.  I used to stuff trout and cook in foil, but it's too soggy for me. I sear the trout separately and then cover with the shrooms, onion , peppers, and sprinkle chives on the top last. Nothing is soggy and I love it that way. 
Sometimes I smoke the trout, if I have some spare time, then it's really dry.
5/19/24 @ 8:16 AM
trouter
trouter
User since 7/3/01
If you soak wild rice overnight, it cooks up faster the next day.

I know at least one cook who saves the leftover water from the rice for soup starter.

Trout is a fine meal.   The small ones go in the pan, in butter.   The salmon or large browns are wrapped in foil and are baked.

5/18/24 @ 9:45 AM
Gillespie
User since 2/6/19
No wrong way to cook trout.  I think pan fried crispy skin trout is the best!  Pan fried with butter and morels is top notch!
5/18/24 @ 6:57 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04
Time to pick some up on my way in Superior along the strip into town before heading thru Duluth on the way to Gunflint trail. I bought some of the cheaper broken grains as well as the better stuff and found it cooks up quicker than whole grains. It takes a full hour to cook wild rice; partial grains, 45 min.
5/15/24 @ 10:33 AM
CLINCHKNOT
User since 10/9/03
wild rice?  go to North Bay Trading company in Brule WI.  They offer great wild rice online.  The BEST is the stuff from Saskatchewan.  Super long grain and fantastic!!  Not knocking wild rice from MN or WI which tends to be shorter grain but the Saskatchewan is wonderful.  Harvested by Cree indians using air boats.  Canadian organic wild rice.  You will not be sorry if you buy this.  

Bought it many years ago and we now buy a 5 lb bag every 3 years.  It stores indefinitely.  Makes great gifts too!  We repackage in small ziplock bags when using 1/2-1 lb for a gift for someone.
5/12/24 @ 2:07 PM
trouter
trouter
User since 7/3/01
I trade for it when I am with my Ojibwe friends.  I will PM a trader who usually sells his supply.   

Trouter

5/12/24 @ 11:05 AM
-T Fish-
User since 2/12/23
Trouter, where could I buy some wild Wisconsin rice? I've been meaning to try to find some of that.
5/11/24 @ 8:43 PM
trouter
trouter
User since 7/3/01
Ramps are always good for cooking.   I usually fry trout with a touch of bacon grease.   

Has anyone cooked trout with morel mushrooms ??

Fresh trout does go well with fresh wild asparagus.

As a rule, wild rice is part of any fish meal I cook.

5/11/24 @ 8:17 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
I grew up in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains in South Central Pennsylvania. Cooked and ate a lot of trout. We used to stream dress the fish leaving the head on. Stuffing the cavity with butter, spring onions was our way of eating them wrapping them in foil and slow cooking over campfire coals. Frying them never occurred to me. We only fried pannies and small bass. Lately I've adjusted that recipe to include tomatoes, fresh garlic, and fresh jalapenos. I think baked or grilled is best, picking around the bones. Never had ramps. Gonna have to try that man.
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE