DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
General Discussion

Turtle

7/7/18 @ 8:02 PM
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

Softshells have been called mud turtles since time began. Dont be wrong anymore. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 212 posts
TODAY @ 1:38 PM
chitowncrappieman
chitowncrappieman
PRO MEMBER User since 3/4/06
S/M I found this to be very true. When you see turtles and or frogs on  a lake,you know that lake is in very good shape IMO.
TODAY @ 1:34 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
PRO MEMBER User since 12/9/08
Saw a bunch of turtles today.  3 Western Painted Turtles on a log, and then found a young snapper on a gravel road.  Carried that one off to a safe location.  It got a bit grumpy...lol.
Turtle photo by SuspendedMusky
5/6/24 @ 9:00 PM
Steelhead88
User since 4/13/22
Relocated this snapper a long ways from pavement to a backwoods pond , picked up 4 ticks in the process .   
Turtle photo by Steelhead88
Turtle photo by Steelhead88
5/5/24 @ 9:42 PM
setterjack
setterjack
PRO MEMBER User since 1/18/07
The thouralfare between Big Sand & Long Lake today. Saw ​3 nice Snappers. They really had a green look to them.
It seemed the water was a bit lower for this time of year. Be careful if you putt through there!!
Turtle photo by setterjack
4/21/24 @ 2:42 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
Lots of turtles out today sunning themselves.  Mostly Midland and Western Painted Turtles.  Pic of a western painted turtle.
1/23/24 @ 1:41 AM
glimmertwin
User since 1/18/11
Don’t people “noodle” for catfish down there? Where you stick your hand down in the muddy water and into a hollowed out log or crevice along the bank of rivers…imagine one of those turtles waiting there for your a s s …
I wouldn’t even get near it on that thin ice. It’s no wonder the south has shorter life expectancy 
1/22/24 @ 7:20 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
Yeah...the massive size of the head and entire turtle gives it away.  Good to know the photo came from Arkansas, right in the heart of Alligator Snapper territory.
1/22/24 @ 6:32 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12
Thats amazing pic.
1/22/24 @ 6:25 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
That turtle looks like it is an Alligator Snapping Turtle.  Not found in WI, but its northern range takes it into Illinois and Iowa.

FWIW,  in WI we have seen turtles swimming under the ice (early ice).  It's rare to see, but it does happen.
1/22/24 @ 5:03 PM
setterjack
setterjack
It's probably over 100 yrs old. When we were kids we caught one like that. Dad always said he'd make turtle soup if we got a big one. We chopped its head off, hung it by the tail on the clothes line. Dad was working 3-11. Couldn't wait to show him. We go to show Dad and it was gone. The rope broke, we could track it with the dew in the grass. It went over 100 yds directly towards the Duck Creek River where we caught it over 1/4 mile away!! 
I could NEVER kill one again. I don't remember but was told the soup was good...Dad was such a great cook. Today is his 2nd Birthday in Heaven. We sure do miss ya Pa
1/22/24 @ 4:53 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17
Where was that pic taken?
1/22/24 @ 4:36 PM
Pool8
User since 1/27/17
That's a whopper. I thought they buried themselves too.

I knew an old river rat that would go to the slews and look for air bubbles in the ice. He would drive a steel rod through the ice into the turtle and then chip around them. He used to have the huge shells hanging on the cabin wall.

1/22/24 @ 4:26 PM
setterjack
setterjack
My brother just sent this to me . I thought they went down in the mud over winter ?
8/26/23 @ 6:30 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17
It ain’t happy MUSKY  
8/26/23 @ 5:08 PM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09
Baby turtles sprouting from the dirt last couple days. Scooped up 10 wandering around the yard. Will take them down to the water hole so they stay hydrated before nightfall.
Turtle photo by Fowler2
Displaying 1 to 15 of 212 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE