MORE
General Discussion

The up north thread

8/26/16 @ 12:47 AM
INITIAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
Tidbits and News related to northern Wisconsin. 
Displaying 1 to 15 of 5,379 posts
TODAY @ 12:57 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12
Ive always been in the neutral camp I can live with it either way.  With the cabin here we own 2 ATVs the kids love them, wife and I like a ride every now and then.  Last fall my 85 year old father inlaw came up and him and I went for a 25  mile ride.  He grew up in this area and raised bear hounds. Cruisin the back roads and logging roads was the most fun he had in many years.  Yesterday son and I put on 50 miles
TODAY @ 8:57 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07
Looks like Plum Lake / Sayner will be joining Arbor Vitae, Conover, and St. Germain in regards to where UTV / ATV's can be driven....

Plum Lake / Sayner UTV vote

Since my wife and I are not residents, we were unable to vote.  

Looks like it passed 1.6 votes to 1 or so....

Interestingly, most folks I've spoken with are very much in support, or very much in opposition.  

Have not chatted with anyone on the fence - most seem to have firm positions one way or the other.

Will be interesting to see next steps.  
TODAY @ 8:11 AM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01
As for me, I have a place on the Flambeau River in Price co. but dont even go there anymore. I can catch a few smallmouth on the S. Fork where I have land, but I get plenty of walleye on lake Winnebago. I have been to Bago 10 ties now and caught 52 walleye, 18 were keepers and I threw back at least another dozen keepers after I had my limit. I dont go from Memorial day till mid August . Price co,. is skeeter breeding country , loaded with ticks and horse flies in the summer.
5/25/24 @ 9:30 PM
44/45
PRO MEMBER User since 3/9/11
Am I the only one without an UTV this weekend? Seem's like it!
5/25/24 @ 1:45 PM
Musky99
User since 8/8/11
Vilas and Oneida have the towns and lakes that families want when they are on vacation.

Price or forest have more woods and fewer towns.

If I am going up hunting give me Price or Ashland.  Going with the family they want Vilas and Oneida.
5/25/24 @ 12:07 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12
Vilas and Oneida have a higher density of lakes than surrounding counties. Also a higher quality of fishing due to the diversity and quality of lakes. ​

And the roads to get there are straighter. Getting up to Crandon for some people requires driving on hwy 55 which is curvy and slow.
5/25/24 @ 8:11 AM
Wacky Rig
User since 3/11/17
Is it because there are an abundance of public EV charging stations there?  Imagine what the lines at those charging stations would be like if we all had EV’s.
5/25/24 @ 6:06 AM
Bemidji-Bergquist
Bemidji-Bergquist
User since 3/23/20
N.pike it's probably a combination of 4 things first is those areas get alot of advertising from sport shows to online advertising its the same reason the dells and the Hayward area are so popular as well. Second TV shows like rob and john Gillespie for example on plum and other lakes in the area alot of people do watch and that means most of Illinois and all of Wisconsin think its the spot and they think its just as easy as on TV. Third its not that far from Milwaukee or Chicago compared to say leech lake or Devils lake and I can say this from experience as trying to get buddies to go to my place in bemidji MN there always like 10 hours towing the boat forget it its only 3.5- 4 hours to Vilas or oneida. The fourth thing is exactly what I'm doing now posting comments from guides to others posting there are alot here on LL along with other website's and also word of mouth. In the end I just hope everyone respects the resources no matter where your up north is so the next generation can enjoy it.
5/25/24 @ 3:31 AM
44/45
Snake1, I just put less than 1/4 cup in the bottom of an old metal coffee can and lit it with my propane torch.
5/24/24 @ 10:54 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
Just a random question. Why do you all think Vilas and Oneida County are so much more popular than the surrounding counties? Since I live in Vilas county, I get the appeal of the lakes. The forests. The shops. The conveniences. 
But, if I were wanting to get away, Forest and Price counties might be just as alluring. Yet, Vilas and Oneida seem so much more popular. Tons of cars coming up today. 
Not complaining. Just curious…what do you think?? 
5/24/24 @ 6:09 AM
Snake1
Snake1
PRO MEMBER User since 1/22/21
Cheapest coffee wins 44/45! Lol I have never heard that before either? 
How do you burn it? Over wood? I’m curious on this one now. Might work for campfire with No-Wind condition. I would test it out by campfire in a couple weeks. 
Skeeters must be bad cause everyone is talkin about it!
5/24/24 @ 5:36 AM
Regjoe
User since 2/7/06
HEADING UP TODAY FOR A LONG WEEKEND.  HOPE THE FISH COOPERATE AND THE SKEETERS DONT!
5/22/24 @ 4:59 AM
44/45
Normally I don't have much for mosquito's around my yard, probably because it's fairly open. But the last 2 day's, they have been terrible and may make for a not so fun upcoming weekend. It took me a while to find a can that would spray as I haven't used any repellant for 2 year's, and it must get old or clogged. I swear by repel, and I have used it in each of the last 2 day's daytime. Make sure that you have repellent on your shopping list! 

I have read where you can light some coffee grounds and use it as a repellant. Well, I will say that it cleared my garage of all mosquitoes and myself as the smell was a little overwhelming. So I moved my metal container outside to the approach and it still worked good enough to say that I would do it again.

5/21/24 @ 4:16 PM
setterjack
setterjack
PRO MEMBER User since 1/18/07
Bruno stopped for a short visit 
The up north thread photo by setterjack
The up north thread photo by setterjack
5/21/24 @ 7:42 AM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01
Igor: How often are you in Boulder?
Displaying 1 to 15 of 5,379 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE