SEARCH
MORE
General Discussion

Space- What is happening in the sky soon

1/12/23 @ 5:03 PM
INITIAL POST
Kayaker 8
User since 8/28/20

As many of us are outdoors, we may happen to see some cool events like comets, meteor showers,  auroras, eclipses and such. Two favorite sites are:

https://spaceweather.com

https://issfanclub.eu

If you have a friend that is a ham radio operator or if you have a scanner, you can contact or listen to the International Space Station as it passes near overhead. On clear nights see the tracking information to see it-very bright sometimes.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 95 posts
5/13/24 @ 8:02 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
We watched the northern lights while fishing on Saturday night.  Really lit up the sky and water.
Space- What is happening in the sky soon photo by lakeshiner
Space- What is happening in the sky soon photo by lakeshiner
5/13/24 @ 6:12 AM
fishhook
fishhook
PRO MEMBER User since 9/16/01
Captured a few bolts of lightning before the rains came last night in N.E. WI.
Space- What is happening in the sky soon photo by fishhook
5/12/24 @ 4:44 PM
Kayaker 8
User since 8/28/20
Another CME inbound may be good show tonight if the T-storms clear out on schedule.
Lightning show followed by Northern Lights- not bad!

5/11/24 @ 7:55 AM
IceFishBaby
User since 11/26/01
Good here. Pics are with my phone on night mode.
Space- What is happening in the sky soon photo by IceFishBaby
5/11/24 @ 6:02 AM
Kayaker 8
User since 8/28/20
Got up around 0200 and the whole sky was lit up.  Pictures did not come out. Still learning new camera.  
Probably more tonight.  Radio bands still wiped out.
5/11/24 @ 12:57 AM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02
Tonight’s light show wasn’t very spectacular where I was at. Seen some other photos that were brilliant. 
Space- What is happening in the sky soon photo by eyesman
5/10/24 @ 5:23 PM
Kayaker 8
User since 8/28/20
SEVERE GEOMAGNETIC STORM--NOW! The first of six CMEs hurled toward Earth by giant sunspot AR3664 hit our planet's magnetic field today. The impact on May 10th at 1645 UT jolted magnetometers around the world and sparked a severe (G4-class) geomagnetic storm. This storm is underway now. More CMEs are following close behind and their arrival could extend the storm into the weekend.

https://www.spaceweather.com

Also High Frequency (HF) amateur bands are wiped out on 75 and 40- meters (3.555-4.0 MHZ and 7.1-7.3MHZ).  20 meter band (14MHZ) is weak and signals are warbling pretty bad. If you are into that.

5/10/24 @ 2:22 PM
IceFishBaby
User since 11/26/01
5/10/24 @ 10:47 AM
IceFishBaby
User since 11/26/01
Looks like good chances tonight and tomorrow.  Tough to predict times, but worth a drive in the country and looking up.  I find using my phone camera catches them even when faint-night mode, hold it steady.
5/10/24 @ 6:42 AM
Snake1
Snake1
PRO MEMBER User since 1/22/21
Good to know Kayaker! 
5/10/24 @ 6:08 AM
Kayaker 8
User since 8/28/20
FIVE CMEs ARE HEADING FOR EARTH: Great sunspot AR3664 has hurled an astonishing five CMEs toward Earth.
According to a NOAA forecast model, the first three CMEs could merge for form a "Cannibal CME." Cannibal CMEs form when fast-moving CMEs overtake and gobble up slower CMEs in front of them. Internal shock waves created by such CME collisions do an good job sparking geomagnetic storms when they strike Earth's magnetic field.
The Cannibal CME is expected to arrive on May 11th. It alone could spark a strong (G3) geomagnetic storm. With two more CMEs following close behind, storm levels could become extreme (G4), sparking auroras at mid- to low-latitudes across Europe and the USA.

​Nice night to stay up tonight!

https://www.spaceweather.com

3/9/24 @ 9:11 PM
Snake1
Snake1
PRO MEMBER User since 1/22/21
That’s good RC! I will take a look in a bit when I go in. 
Note: We’re the Satellites “Identified”? If not , they were officially UFO’s! 😳 
3/9/24 @ 9:00 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12
Past few weeks been getting some good views of the Little Dipper.  Most of the year its too hazy to see most of it from my house.  Tonite is a good night for viewing and I watched 2 sattelites cris cross paths at the neck of the big dipper. 
3/5/24 @ 2:54 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17
I just read that CHINA and RUSSIA are thinking about building a nuclear reactor on the moon!    Knowing those 2 that can’t be good.
3/5/24 @ 1:44 PM
CatfishHunter47
CatfishHunter47
User since 1/16/07
It’s official,  Odysseus has landed on the moon. First spacecraft to land on the lunar surface in more than 50 years. Pretty cool.

Pretty sure they crash landed on the moon.  The darn thing was and still is laying on the moon tipped over.  I read a few days ago that it powered down and is now a permanent lawn ornament. 
Displaying 1 to 15 of 95 posts

MINN KOTA - UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova
UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova
The Ulterra® and Terrova® are newly upgraded to keep you at the top of your game and always in the thick of it. More maneuvers. More capabilities. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging
Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging
It's showtime. We've expanded the performance of our MEGA Imaging®? technology with the introduction of MEGA Live Imaging™?. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE